Monday, July 13, 2009

ChocoMint Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes for a friend's birthday. As it was my own recipe (butchered and added to from a few others), I'll post it here. I think these would work with any other chocolate cake, but as I'm not keen on chocolate cake I made mine with cocoa instead of real chocolate. Measurements seem a bit higgledy piggledy, but I try to use cups & spoons instead of weights where possible as it is much quicker (don't know why we don't use them more in the UK).


ChocoMint Cupcakes (makes 16)

Chocolate Cupcake
1.5 cups plain flour
1 cup cocoa powder (not hot choc mix)
2 cups caster sugar
1.25 tsps baking powder
1.25 tsps bicarb of soda
1 tsp salt
0.75 cup hot water
0.75 cup milk
2 large eggs
0.5 cup veg oil
1.5 tsps vanilla extract

ChocoMint Frosting
1 x 150g bar white chocolate
half a small tub of soft cheese (I used light, but full fat or extra light would prob work too)
4 x tbsps butter (unsalted)
Icing sugar (approx 3 cups)
1.5 tsps peppermint extract
Green food colouring (I used a tiny bit of holly green paste)

Make the Cakes
Sieve the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and bicarb into food processor/mixer bowl.
Turn on and whilst processing add water, milk eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix until mixture is smooth (it will be runny).
Half fill paper cases in muffin tray and bake at 165 degrees for 15-20 minutes (I use a fan oven, so times/temps may have to be slightly increased).
Leave to cool once done.

Make the Frosting
Melt the chocolate in the microwave until just melted then stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
Mix the butter and cheese together (I use a food processer). Once combined add the chocolate and peppermint essence and mix again.
Add the icing sugar (I do this half a cup at a time until almost the right consistency, then quarter of a cup at a time until it is just right).
Once the frosting is the right consistency add the food colouring and mix well.
Spoon a generous desertspoonful onto each cake and use the back of the spoon to swirl.

Store and serve from the fridge - adds to the mint choc chip icecream taste if they are cold.

3 comments:

camcraft said...

Oooh sound totally delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe.
You really are such a multi-talented lady :-)
Carole x

Marie Cramp said...

Hi Lisa,
thanks for visiting my blog. Filigree is quite easy. Vintaj.com is the place to start, look at their gallery, it is full of ides and you there are a few tips and techniques. It is a lot easier than it looks.

Hugs
Marie {skyejewels}
Hope you come again soon :)

artfulstampin said...

My DH and children would love these! I don't know why we don't use more cup and spoon measurements either! I've created an adaptable savoury scone/muffin recipe with cup measurements - its so much easier!